Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My baby and the bus!

Mason started school today. It has only been an hour, and I am pretty sure I am done crying (aren't y'all proud?!)

He woke up at about 6 AM and asked when the bus was coming (not until 7:50) he got dressed without complaint, had breakfast, brushed his hair and teeth, and put his shoes on all before 7:15! My mom came over this morning to see him off, and Mason made her go to work. "Please don't watch me," he begged. Later, he told me that he though Grammy would cry, and if she cried, he might. Kinda like saying, "no pressure mom, but don't start crying!"

At 7:30 I let him convince me to go outside and wait for the bus. We played baseball in the yard for awhile, the entire time I was drilling him on what to look for when he got to school (his teacher holding a stick with a yellow house picture), how he needs to use his listening ears, be a good boy, remember his manners, ask when he has to leave the room, etc. Then we saw the bus coming up the street. When he saw it, he grabbed his back pack, yelled "see you at Noon Mama" and went running down the driveway.

Like a crazy woman I yelled for him to stop and made him let me walk him to the end of the driveway. He introduced himself to the bus driver and very reluctantly gave me a kiss and a hug. This reluctance had nothing to do with getting on the bus, and everything to do with not wanting to kiss me in front of the other kids. He bounded up the stairs, picked a spot next to some other kids (opposite of the windows where I could see him) and off they went. No tears (except by Mommy), no waving, no uncertainty. OMG! I suppose it means that I have prepared him well, but that doesn't make it any less difficult!

When I was still doing daycare, there were some kids we literally had to physically place on the bus because they didn't want to go. I definitely didn't want that to happen instead, but I thought maybe he would at least wave and smile through the window! Hopefully the calls from the principal telling me my child is causing problems and class won't start until, well, at least Levi. I am so proud of my little man and pray that the teacher won't think he is a "scurvy elephant."

Despite what I said at first, I think I might go cry a little bit more.

No comments: