Wednesday, August 20, 2008

More first day fun

You are probably all sick and tired of hearing about Mason's first day of school, but seeing as everyone I know has a job and cannot just listen to me blab, I have to write it down!

The bus was supposed to arrive between 12 and 12:05. When it wasn't here by 12:20, I got a little panicky, at 12:30 I was ready to throw up. Brandon told me I couldn't call the bus company until 1pm. Luckily for them, Mason's bus arrived at about 12:45. Hopefully, when the route is figured out a little better, he will really show up at noon when they said he would. The other kids were dying waiting for lunch!

Mason was a bit of crab when he got off the bus. I could tell it was a really long day for him. He was willing to tell me a little about his day and some of the friends that he met. He seems to really like it so far (but it is only the first day!).

His first homework assignment was to learn all about an assigned letter. He is supposed to learn what sound it makes, what words and objects start with that letter, what it looks like, and if there are any special rules for it. As if it were a cruel joke, Mason's letter is "L" Any of you who have heard Mason talk know that the limited movement of his tongue makes his L sound be a W sound. When we were thinking of L words at lunchtime today, he didn't believe me that wood, watch, and wiggle weren't really L words. Poor kid!

I am hoping this will be a blessing in disguise and give us the opportunity to work on his letter formation. Some of the speech isn't really anything we can do anything about (his tongue doesn't reach!) but I also know that some of it is genetic (courtesy of his daddy Bwandon) and should be able to be fixed with a little direction.

He made some friends today, and from what I can tell they ride the bus with him too. Which is great for me because that means they live in Maple Park. Play dates here we come! He was excited, but exhausted, and is now upstairs napping, even though he cried he wasn't tired!

I think Mommy might just take a nap, too!

No comments: